The Voices of the Holocaust

Silence –  My screams of horror and death, machine guns and burning flesh, to silence. Absolutely no sound, not even the chirp of a bird nor the wind going through tree branches. My absolute and complete, utter silence represents the trauma I’ve inflicted upon others and the burden they had carried with them throughout their whole life.

Jewish men working at the Sonder Kommandos

Sonder Kommandos

Dear Loved Ones,

As much as I despise what the SS officers and Nazi’s are doing, I want to survive. By taking on this job, I am assured this guarantee. I can’t do anything about what the Nazi’s are doing to my fellow Jews and friends, and it tears me apart, but I want to survive. I am so sorry if this has disappointed you but I hope you understand.

Much love,

(random name)

A typical SS officer

The SS officers – Today at work I got to enjoy watching the death of hundreds of Jews again. It’s my typical day to lead the Jews to the “showers” of death. It was almost hysterical how they didn’t know what they were getting themselves into.

Death – I am a friend of those inside the barbed fences as well as an enemy. Some wish me upon themselves while others are fighting with all their might to keep me away as long as they can. I will come as I please. I’m not sure of how I choose who I take, I just do as I’m told.

Suitcases of Holocaust victims

Suitcases – I am leaving the ghetto for relocation and am told to pack. I choose a couple change of clothes and shoes, as I do for any vacation, and personal hygiene items such as a hair, tooth brush and face wash. I also pack my sketchbook and pencils and my comforter. When my possessions are not returned, I miss my blanket the most because it was a place of comfort and safety. It had reminded me of my bed, in a safe place in a safe home. I missed the feeling of feeling like I was safe and had comfort.

Wiesel’s Father

Father: My son! It has been so long… You have turned into such an extraordinary man, I could not have wished for anything more from you after my departure.

Elie: I have missed you very much. I wish you could’ve been by my side through my journey after surviving.

Father: I wish I could’ve too but it was my time to go. I’m glad we had each other for as long as we did while in the concentration camp.

Elie: Me too, I’m glad we had each other. You were my only reason to go on.